Hello Dear Students and Teachers!
After recent influx of posts and posters saying in unison that they have problems with filmic I thought we need a place for learning. A place when people “having problems” learn how to solve them and a place where we can learn that those problems are, so we can improve our knowledge about real world usage. So this is this place!
If you sometimes think “filmic is too hard” or “I can’t achieve the look i want” or “it takes forever to get close to what i think i want and it isn’t what i want” (or similar) then this place is for you!
This is not a place for vagueness. If you have a problem you have to show it, you have to show your work and you have to expect further questions.
Before I start with rules, you have to understand that
filmic rgb isn’t a drop in replacement for some other modules. It’s a part a framework designed around more correct ideas and current state of colour science, designed to be robust, correct, without weird hue shifts, undesirable, and side-effects and so on. This obviously doesn’t come cheap - the cost is different workflow and different approach that needs to be learned (on many cases re-learned). The payback however is great: no more weird skin tones that no healthy human should have, no more rat-piss sunsets, no more colour run-offs etc
Once you understand above and still have problems, we can help! Here are the rules:
- We expect you to have read darktable 3.4 user manual - darktable 3.4 with emphasis on
- We expect a clearly defined problem, which means:
- You have to post a RAW with sample of problem
- you have to post the filmic edit that you attempted in darktable(xmp)
- you have to post the desired look (jpeg) created using different method (eg oocjpeg, basecurve-based edit, maybe even result from other apps) and/or clear description what and why you’re trying to achieve.
- In case of generic “workflow” problems (as in “i can’t edit as fast”) or in conjunction with posting a sample RAW a screen cast showing your edit session is very well expected. There are multiple free video hosting/streaming services - use them for longer screen cast. Vague problems like “it’s not intuitive”, “it’s too complicated”, “I can’t work effectively” are not accepted - you have to show the problem you have.
- Since sharing raws is expected, PlayRAW rules apply - uploaded images must have CC license. (However keep in mind this is darktable-only thread, meaning solutions will be in darktable and problems are from darktable)
- No trolling, off-topic comments, emotional comments etc.
If you cannot follow above rules (eg. you can’t legally share RAW publicly and it’s the only one you have problems with) and still want to learn, then the most effective way is by private lesson with the teacher.
Now - please post your problems and the teachers will help you
Let’s have a great learning experience!