Local Lab build

@jdc
Comprehension question: In the locallab tab in Exposure menu Highlight compression seems to work only if Exposure compression is not 0. Is there any reason for that?

Heinrich

I just commit a change

1. improve inverse retinex
  2. improve (in some cases) structure
  3. improve shape detection with 2 possible settings in “settings”
    a) fixe the level of structure (threshold structure) for solid areas (only if Rtpoint is on solid areas)
    b) increase action of deltaE by “deltaE weakening”. In this case, if you increase “DeltaE weakening” shape detection would be better, but global scope wil be reduced

You must clear cache.

@spidermonkey
it is the “normal” behaviour, you need to have either

• exposure compensation != 0
  • tone cure != 0
  • mask activate

jacques

Looks good, look forward to trying it out.

@gaaned92 and @jdc,

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-605-g4fbe83af4_WinVista_64_190204.zip

https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/

Is running fine here.

1 Like

Works well. Big improvement on shape detection. With the default settings able to make big changes to fine structures such as foliage with virtually no artefacts such as halos or lines. Keep it like this! I found the default settings of delta E and structure worked best without having to change them but that might not always be the case. Keep up the good work…

I like these changes :smiley:
Is it possible to make a negative spot, an “everywhere but here” selection?
Something like “Inverse” in “Blur & Noise” and “Color & Light” that works for every filter (Exposure, Contrast…)

Yes this would be useful. Currently the only way I have found of achieving what Alberto mentions is to
1.place one spot on a grey area, make it cover the whole picture and turn up the scope to full.
2.make any changes in locallab eg desaturate the whole image.
3.Lastly add an excluding spot to the area you don’t want affected eg leave a post box or bus red.
Any quicker suggestions welcome!

@alb1x3 @spidermonkey
I understand what you want…
It seems difficult, because each group (Color and Light, Exposure, CBDL, Noise, etc.) has its own settings.
In summary (simplified), the algorithm works globally as below
a) the inner rectangle corresponding to the selection undergoes the different algorithms - which remind us are often different from those of the general module - sliders, checkbox, curves, mask…
b) then I calculate, according to the case, the adjustments of lightness, chroma (“a and b” or “a or b”), and eventualy hue
c) I pass these differences to the function that calculates the deltaE and scope

For “inverse”, either I used a very simplified algorithm, either I used substantially the same, but by taking account it’s not the inner rectangle, but the outer rectangle.

Very big work to do what you want.
Maybe I could do it for “exposure”…
To day inverse works with much functionalities for

• Color and light (lightness, contrast, chrominance), but not for curves and mask
  • Blur and noise
  • Retinex
  • Sharpening

To do what you want, you can as says @spidermonkey

• create an Rt-spot that encompasses the entire image
  • apply the settings you want
  • then apply one or many excludind Rt-spot

jacques

2 Likes

I don’t find the excluding spot very usefull because it exludes the spot from every local filter, i can’t apply a contrast or white balance change on an area excluded from an exposure filter.

If the spot creates a map that express (0…100%) how much the filter has to process every point we can express any shape.
Probably the algorithm is more complicated than this. Thanks

@alb1x3
I am not sure to understand what you say
But “Excluding point” can use all settings. Once you have selected “excluding” you can “add” what you want to the excludind point (Color and light, exposure, warm-cool, cbdl, etc.)

For your second point, it’s considerably more complex

Jacques

@spidermonkey

Globally, the 3 sliders in settings “Shape detection”, must be correctly set by default in 90% of cases

nevertheless there are exceptions
a) threshold structure must be increased if noisy image
b) deltaE weakening can be increased when the deltaE differences are very small, eg sea and sky, or sky and mountain in some cases
c) deltaE weakening can be reduce, if you want (rare) to shortcut deltaE, and extend the action
d) Threshold deltaE-scope can be increase in case of very wide gamut images, or as in c) above

In most cases b) c) and d) can be used if user selected a high value of scope…or for some functionnalities as “denoise” or “retinex” or …

jacques

… I can add filters to an exluding spot, i missed this possibility, i’ll try it.
How about a transparency mask for the filtered version of the image?
Anyway thanks fos this great work

@alb1x3

You have the same functionalities with “exclude”, if you use “Color and Light” or “exposure”. With “exclude” you can use mask…and show modifications…

I will probably add “inverse” to “exposure”… if no one opposes

1 Like

I just push a commit
Now you can “inverse exposure” (whitout curves and mask - as Color and light)

jacques

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-611-g7c5edb536_WinVista_64_190207.zip
From

Is running fine here

I push a commit with some improvments to

• inverse Color and Light : Blur shape detection - Curve L=f(L) — Curve C=f(C )
  • inverse Exposure : Blur shape detection - Curve L=f(L)

jacques

@gaaned92 and @jdc,

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-618-g0d305798c_WinVista_64_190209.zip

Is running fine here.

@gaaned92 and @jdc,

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-621-g3a43f0056_WinVista_64_190212.zip

Is running fine here.

Hey guys. Well, I really like RawTherapee and it became my favourite editor. Been using for a couple of months now. Coming from Lightroom, but with cinema color grading experience with DaVinci Resolve, I found that RawTherapee has a lot more creative resources than any other software for still photos. Well, ok. I recently discovered Locallab that seemed to solve the only problem I have, witch is masking and aplying local adjustments. The problem is that I really cannot use it. Seems to behave very in a very very awkward way. If I try to adjust exposure of a given area. Don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but it seems to be related to how it works. I simply cannot do any dodge and burning, as when I put the mask where I want it to be and change the exposure, it only aplies to certaing areas, on weird ways. I guess it has to do with shape detection. Isn’t there a way to just apply it globally within the selected area and change the transitions? Don’t know if you are familiar with power masks in DaVinci Resolve, but that kind of thing is amazing. Can’t it be done?
How is locallab supposed to be used? Because at last on 100% of my trys it seemed useless - and I don’t want to seem rude as I know there is a lot of effort on developing and I thank for the work. But I really cannot understand how to use this tool for something so simple.

You’ll probably need to post an example file and pp3 to illustrate your issue.