Local Lab build

@lngo,
I think having both the Lasso selection and the Control points would make it even better.

1 Like

@dngimage
Your version is “old” (a6c6207) , the actual version has a better algorithm “shape detection” :

• select : Quality enhanced or Quality enhanced + chroma denoise and also, reduce the value of Scope

For “lasso selection” :

1. first it is a GUI problem and I don’t know how to do
  2. the general algorithm will have to be completely changed. Perhaps as I said some years ago, we can probably replace “elipse” by “curve” but it is another big problem.
    Jacques

You will find on my RT W32 drive release and debug 32bits locallab builds 4.2.1263.

1 Like

@dngimage: It’s there at the first url I listed. The 2nd one is where the 64bit is.

@DenB, for some reason I didn’t find it there yesterday. Thanks anyway!

@gaaned92, go it. Thanks!

@jdc Desmis, I’m running RawTherapee_WinVista_64_release_locallab_4.2.1263.zip now.
The Lasso Selection in combination with the Control Points will make Local Lab more flexible. It is hard sometimes to cover the targeted areas with just the Control Points.

The bug with the Control Points changing the radius to 100% on its own is gone. Thanks! However, now in this newer version I’m getting crashes when using “blur” (under Blur & Noise) and saving the image. I need to do more testing, delete the cache, *.pp3, install/uninstall. I know this is work in progress but it is looking good. Thanks for all your work.

@dngimage
Could you provide the image and the area you want to modify ?

I tested, retested, many images with many control points “Blur and Noise”, save to TIF…no crash :slight_smile:

@jdc Desmis,

• Deleted the cache
  • Deleted the pp3 and created a new one
  • Installed again (RawTherapee Win64 4.2.1263)

and the problem is gone! :slight_smile:

I encourage others to test this as well, especially using several control points with blur and both inverse checked.

Thanks, Desmis.

@dngimage

I repeat my request. Can you provide an image for which the “lasso” would be better than “control points” and with which settings:

• color and light : normal or inverse with lightness and / or contrast and / or chrominance
  • Blur and noise : normal or inverse
  • sharpening …
  • retinex …
  • denoise…

Currently only the “normal” settings for “Color and Light”, “Sharpening” and “Retinex” benefit from the improved shape detection algorithm (not for inverse!)

Thanks
Jacques

Bonjour Jacques,

Can you provide an image for which the “lasso” would be better >than “control points”

Here are three images with a very quick example. I wish I had more time for more and better examples.

The first image was processed in RawTherapee without Local Lab active.

The second one is using Local Lab with a Control Point and blur, inverse checked to blur the background. Notice that the spaces between the flower’s petals can’t be blurred easily.

In the last one, Lasso is used to select the flower, the spaces between the flower’s petals are blurred now.

Thanks!

Thank you for your work, and the 3 images. :slight_smile:

But, Excuse me, I do not understand!

There is no lasso in RT? Where does the image come from ? Is it an example of the goal ?

What I’m asking is a link to an image in Raw or TIF or JPG and with the settings you use ! (description of what you do, or pp3 or mip)

In a previous example of Lasso (one mounth ago) that you show, you use the inverse function for lightness.
This is not a good way to use locallab (I know there is not help in Rawpedia); the inverse function for Color and light, is only present for ancillary functions, such as creating a framing skill.
The function where inverse is truly indispensable is “blur and noise”

It is better, first with “Lab adjustments” to reduce the general lightness of -15.
Then select Locallab, “quality enhanced” or “quality enhanced + chroma denoise” (to avoid artifacts), in normal mode (not inverse).
Select the area you want, it can be largely beyond the area to be treated, because the shape recognition algorithm will only process the area of the hue/chroma/luma concerned.
Then acts on sliders eg: ligtness + 15.
If necessary you can select 2 control points, in the same area.
Act on scope to select the best hue / chroma / luma and adjust with transition…

I do not say that the lasso is useless, but:
1)It’s a very big job at the GUI level
2)the algorithm will be completely different.
3)Other software such as “Nik software”, do not use lasso
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought that you asked:

Can you provide an image for which the “lasso” would be better than “control points”

That’s why I provided the difference between Lasso and the Control Points.

In a previous example of Lasso (one mounth ago) that you show, you >use the inverse function for lightness.

Oops! :slight_smile: I can’t find that image from a month ago in my computer :slight_smile: Too many images :slight_smile:

I use Local Lab mainly for what I showed you in the example. I was just looking for a way to blur the background.

Thanks!

The multiple local lab build function is really nice and works great! Is there any plan to include it in the master branch? Will it be include in the RT5.0 release?
Anyway, thank you for all the work done here…

I push another change, concerning “Contrast By Detail Levels”. and “Blur and Noise”

I have add for blur a slider “scope” in order to better delimited action, I add also “luminance only”.

I realized some optimizations to reduce processing time and memory.

You must delete *.mip files

I have not planned any further changes (except bug).

I realized a help in Rawpedia (in French) http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_Lab_controls/fr#.C3.89volutions

1 Like

Desmis… would you be so kind to tell me where are those mip files?

@kazah7,
I find the *.mip files in the same folder where *.pp3, raw, files are.

I don’t know if you read French:

“un fichier de type texte, assez proche des fichiers pp3 est enregistré à côté du fichier à traiter. Si par exemple vous traitez le fichier ASC4509.NEF, un fichier ASC4509.NEF.mip sera enregistré dans le même dossier.”

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_Lab_controls/fr#Les_fichiers_.2A.mip

I hope this helps.

you will find in my RT W64 drive windows 64 bits locallab build 4.2.1272 (release and debug)

@dngimage @kazah7
Thank you for this answer

@gaaned92
Thank you for yours builds

I’m working on mip file management:

1. to avoid crashes when updating algorithms that have effects on the structure of mip files, and avoid manually erasing
  2. to keep the previous settings in future evolutions

The version I will push, will only do 1)

I just pushed the change 1) above :slight_smile:

I add local Tone-Mapping, in a new change!

I also removed many bugs

Now there is no need to delete * .mip files

• If the update is made from files generated by the version c65ba61, all settings are maintained.

• If the update is made from files generated before the version c65ba61, settings are not maintained, but no crash.

I will be absent from tomorrow evening, until early January

Happy holidays to everyone :slight_smile:

Waiting for Jacques return, you can test the 4.2.1274 locallab W64 builds available at my W64 RT drive

André

@jdc Joyeux Noel et Bonnes fêtes