New interface in darktable 2.7 (dev)

Thanks!

Hi everyone

Great work and hat off for this huge piece of work. I like the new UI a lot !!
I just have an issue with the font on Mac / DT 2.7.0 1154. I’m getting

Pango- WARNING **: 17:24:47.508: couldn’t load font “sans-serif Condensed Not-Rotated 12.958984375”, modified variant/weight/stretch as fallback, expect ugly output.

If theme ‘darktable’ if selected, otherwise if I choose ‘darktable elegant’ I get

Pango- WARNING **: 17:24:47.508: couldn’t load font “Roboto Condensed Not-Rotated 12.958984375”, modified variant/weight/stretch as fallback, expect ugly output.

even though I’ve installed the Roboto family on my Mac (and I don’t see a ‘condensed’ variant). Anyone experiencing the same ? As a result I’m not sure what font its falling back on but I’m sure I’d look a lot better with Roboto or one of the other mentioned in the CSS.

you guys rock.

The font bug is being worked on.

I have the same issue, last 2.7 git on Windows.

Those of you with Roboto issues should check that you haven’t installed some minimal set of the type. It’s made available in various subsets, unfortunately I can’t say which one works.

And as I have said above, Roboto has many versions; it has been tweaked and altered a lot since its creation.

not sure this is a good target then.

What is the default GTK font these days? Why not ship a version of the theme that just uses the default system font?

I think houz changed the default theme to do just that.

I have a question. do we have a list of screen resolutions that should still be well supported with the new UI? my fullhd laptop is getting a bit crowded with the new UI and it seems to be largely caused by margins/paddings

Or in general some design document with goals and base decisions? @anon41087856 @Pascal_Obry

1 Like

For me the target is full HD. No less, it is not workable on less than 1920x1080 and this is not true for dt but also for Lr where screen below this resolution does not permit proper work as the central area is too small.

was this discussed with the team as a whole?

Why shout it be discussed? this has always been the case well before I joined the project. even on my full HD screen I have some ellipsized text (French translation tends to be a bit longer).

As I said the same issue was on lr before I joined dt.

Now, one can certainly use a 1024x900 screen with dt and have just a thumb size central area. is that a good user experience?

Do we have enough energy to work on supporting screen resolution that cannot support proper picture editing? We are in 2019 where HD screen certainly not a high requirement for photographs.

yes you should reach consensus on major design decisions like this.

have you read my reply?

This was a decision ALREADY made BEFORE I joined the project.

And I know that some project members expect it to work on 1358x768 or what ever it is

Ok, let’s wait for them to speak here. And since dt is OpenSource they can do the work to support that. I don’t have such a screen myself (since more than 5 years) to test anyway.

While waiting we can work on making it work better on fullhd again :stuck_out_tongue: i have the feeling on my T420 screen that I lost a lot of editing space

I agree, as I said already we need a condensed theme. I hope we’ll see that happening before the next major release.

1 Like

In my case I did try to download and install Roboto fonts (though I cannot see a “condensed” version of it in my fonts catalogue now that it’s been added).

It doesn’t change the issue I have (should I select “elegant”).

I went to this URL to download it :

Selected “select this font” and then download, and that’s it.

I have the feeling that for some reason, the font it’s been falling back on is quite larger and as a result everything appear “quite big” as if it were 1920x1080 except that I use a 5k display. Take the “quite big” bit with a pinch of salt of course, I’m just trying to translate what I see as I have no idea what font and size are begin used in the backend. I think that based on the screenshots from Aurelien, it should be somewhat smaller, slicker.