New interface in darktable 2.7 (dev)

I was able to compile DT 2.7 for windows to try out the new interface and it works quite well. One thing i notice and perhaps its just me esp when parametric masks are being used or say the filmic module the dialogue in the module is quite long now often requiring scrolling as it runs off the screen…my natural instinct is to roll the mouse wheel down but this can effect a slider if you are hovering and then you accidentally change that setting. Is there a way that perhaps you could hold the shift key down to scroll the module or the opposite have the default to scroll the module and hold shift to scroll the sliders…I know there is a scrollbar to the right but it is narrow and still not as efficient to use to scroll up and down a module…anyway maybe this is something that can be set or configured and I just have not come across it but I would say that is my only issue with the new interface is that the modules can often go off the screen. I have hidden the film roll to get a bit more space etc but still it would be nice if there was a way that any active module was always fully view-able on the screen or at least easy to scroll through…

2 Likes

I have same issue. Modules when opened go out of screen

That would work better for me…same issue…I tend to hit the scroll wheel on the mouse by default with the intention to scroll the module…esp now that many modules are so long they extend off the screen…Just feedback not criticism…very grateful for everyone’s efforts around this software…

Wish I knew code. I run darktable on Windows.
I’d be more than willing to help out with bugs and stuff.

This was mentioned earlier and I totally agree. It’s far more intuitive to use the scroll wheel for scrolling…

1 Like

I thought I had read it in the post but it was getting long and my first pass didn’t catch it…I added in a comment of support up higher…

you dont need coding knowledge per se. if you want to work on a theme CSS and the CSS specific for GTK is important.

See, you already lost me haha

Everyone starts with “wow that looks complicated” … then you start little things … “what happens if i type this funny stuff from the docs here.” … "oh neat … lets try this … " and step by step you are becoming an expert. the most important bit to preserve is the child like playing with things to learn them.

7 Likes

@priort +1

I’ll take a look and see how GTK works…if I can contribute I will…may need to retire to find the time…:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Darix I think the ability to change the scroll behaviour in modules is not a CSS thing correct??

And for GTK it seems like you still need to understand the code that is associated with elements of the UI even if you are using something like Glade to do it graphically?? Would that not also be fair…if not please correct me…

Inactive buttons have very low contrast, difficult to read

immagine

Icons in modules header are quite small

immagine

Dots sometimes do not indicate the neutral position and are really small

immagine

Running DT on Win 10, HiDPI 4k Display

A tip: you should precede the user name with an “@” so that @darix get notified about your question to him.
Or just select some part of his sentence and, doing that, click on the “Quote” button that shows up above the selected text, like I did with yours now.
Both ways gets the user notified.

1 Like

Sorry didn’t know that …thanks

@darix I think the ability to change the scroll behaviour in modules is not a CSS thing correct??

And for GTK it seems like you still need to understand the code that is associated with elements of the UI even if you are using something like Glade to do it graphically?? Would that not also be fair…if not please correct me…

1 Like

Well said…comment of the day!

I disagree with that. In some circonstances, you don’t need to scroll modules at all (if you have a short list, or small modules), so this behaviour as a default would penalize users 100% of the time for something that happens maybe 75-80% of the time.

The CSS stylesheet is commented though.

I have added more comments in the default CSS theme (darktable.css):

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/pull/2443/files

Hoping it will help…

(BTW I’m still way below minimal wage :wink: )

5 Likes