New Windows builds

no, I added space as when I posted here it didn’t show the double \
That didn’t work it needs double \ \ in there .
When I looked at preference the custom path was blank with single\

In scripting and in this forum, some characters have special meaning, for example backticks ` and backslashes \. A backtick means that the text following it should be formatted as code.
Example:
This is without backticks, i I 1 o O 0 (){};.
`This is with backticks, i I 1 o O 0 (){};.`

The backslash is a standard character used for “escaping”, which means “the next character is not to be treated as special”. So if I want to write a backtick here and I want it to show up as a backtick then I need to escape it, by writing first a backslash (“do not treat the next character in any special way”) and then the backtick.
I write this: \` and you see this: `

Because a backslash is special, to write it you need to escape it with another backslash, so to make two baskslashes show up here you need to escape each one with another one, so in the end you write four backslashes.
I write: \\\\, you see: \\

Instead of escaping each backslash in the filepath, you can surround the filepath with backticks, which means the filepath will be treated as code and so the backslashes won’t be treated in any special way.
Example:
`CustomEditor=C:\\Program Files\\Gimp-2.8\\gimp-2.8.exe`

2 Likes

New 64-bits Windows builds are available here for you guys.

@Morgan_Hardwood, since your recent changes, the WindowsInnoSetup.iss file needs to be edited to change the path for the installerStrip.bmp file.

File WindowsInnoSetup.iss.in at line 58 should be updated from:

WizardImageFile={#MySourceBasePath}\rtdata\win\InnoSetup\installerStrip.bmp

to

WizardImageFile={#MySourceBasePath}\tools\win\InnoSetup\installerStrip.bmp

1 Like

Thanks, fixed. Please let me know if there’s anything else.

Well currently, because some folders are different between Gtk2 and Gtk3 builds, and because of the inclusion of gdb.exe in the Debug packages, I need to customize the Innosetup file.
I tried to use sed or awk to do it for me from within my bash scripts, but it can only change the folders names (for example change \lib to \share for a Gtk3 build) but because of some special characters (quotes, braces or # signs) I haven’t found yet how to automatically add the line to include the gdb.exe file in the package, I have to add the line manually.

I updated the documentation for the “Send to external editor” option:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Preferences#External_Editor

I’m good at Linux scripting, please open an issue on GitHub if you need help with that. Let’s not do it here.

@Morgan_Hardwood regarding the “Send to external editor” option, I think it is wrong for the first case (“GIMP installation directory”). Let’s take my default Gimp install as an example. By default, the path to executable of the official Gimp build is C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2*.exe. If in the Preferences of Rawtherapeeyou set the path to Gimp as it is written in Rawpedia, you would set it to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin. But this fails to launch Gimp and says it cannot find the program! In fact, you need to point to the parent directory C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 for the command to launch correctly (it seems to then look for bin\gimp-2*.exe.
However it looks like Partha’s Gimp builds have the Gimp executable in the main folder, not under bin.
What Rawpedia says about Gimp actually the way to set it up for the third case (“Other command line”).

Regarding a script for Innosetup, ok I’ll open an isue on github, I wasn’t sure.

Seems I fixed that while you were writing it, hit F5 to refresh.

Aaaahhh… all that writing for nothing…

@sguyader, thanks for the RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Gtk3_Release_4.2.787 build!
It is running fine. I only had a crash when adjusting curves, but then it could be something else, it works fine must of the time. I noticed in the installation/setup program there isn’t a way to set the folder where RT will be installed. I think that in older versions you could choose the folder. But I got this done manually. Other than that this version seems more solid than the previous.
Ran GIMP 2.8.16 from this new RT version too and it works perfectly.

1 Like

It is very important that you report crashes with stack backtraces!
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_write_useful_bug_reports

Any chance of a win64 build of the current master trunk?

There is a Master Release from @sguyader here:
http://filebin.net/3f7nont2si

Thanks, RT 4.2.787 Gtk3 is running fine on Win 10 x64 - like always.:slightly_smiling:

1 Like

I note that new builds of RT (for Win 64 bit) are now being offered at frequent intervals. My thanks to the developers for their constant efforts to improve the software. Please permit a question from one totally unfamiliar with this process:

The new builds are primarily offered in two different flavors: “Master” and “Gtk3” Can someone explain the differences and pros and cons of each variety, limited only to the manner in which they affect the end user of the software (me)?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but ad an end user the difference between Master (gtk2) and Gtk3 builds concerns the updated graphical interface. However, currently the new features and bug fixes are generally committed to the Master branch first, and reach the Gtk3 a little bit later. So it is possible that the Master build is slightly in advance compared to the Gtk3 build.
At some point though, the Gtk3 branch should become the main (master) branch when its stability is confirmed.

1 Like

Many thanks for this cogent explanation.

master uses Gtk+ 2, gtk3 uses Gtk+ 3.
Gtk+ is the program which contains all the frames and buttons and other user interface objects which we design the user interface from.
Currently all bug fixes and new features are first made to master, and once every few days they are copied into gtk3. This “copying into” is called “merging”. In the not distant future we will abandon Gtk+ 2 and use only Gtk+ 3, so it’s better if you use and report bugs in the Gtk+ 3 version. Every time I merge, all the features and bug fixes from master are copied to gtk3, so one catches up with the other, and at those times they are essentially the same, except for the fact that gtk3 uses the more modern user interface program.

See the merges in a graph: Network Graph · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: GTK3 4.2.787 Zoom Center Problem

I moved these to not go too far off-topic in this thread.