Night scene - At the bar

I have tried to make the inside neutral not disturbing the blue church
DSC_8666_01.nef.xmp (15.1 KB)

4 Likes

DSC_8666.nef.xmp (18.7 KB)

DSC_8666_01.nef.xmp (11.0 KB)

3 Likes

I’d like to improve the luminance clipping method in QRP. But according to Rawtherapee and darktable, the models they use a different.

Let’s assume the upper threshold is U, the lower threshold is L

Software Shadow Highlight
Rawtherapee R < L and G < L and B < L R > U or G > U or B > U
darktable same as Rawtherapee R > U and G > U and B > U

Which one is used mostly? Or maybe I shall implement both?

1 Like

thanks for posting
darktable 3.6

DSC_8666_02.nef.xmp (18.0 KB)

5 Likes

Maybe @heckflosse and @hannoschwalm can shed some light here?

This is great :slight_smile:
Reminds me a lot of Edward Hopper’s paintings.

Thanks for sharing all your different interpretations.

To start with, the church is illuminated by a very strong blue light, and @Rajkhand’s gets closer to it, although it lacks the purple accent present in mine. Next time, maybe I follow @paulmatth’s advice, or ask the priest to shutdown the lights for a while :grinning:

As for the interior, although the street lights (tungsten?) spread a strong yellowish tint, I think I failed it in my edit. Last night I got back to the scene and the interior is not as yellow, dark and flat as in my edit, so I would stay somewhere between @Rajkhand’s and @paulmatth’s, if we’re trying to go the realistic depict way.

In the end, when I thought I was mastering raw editing, I realize that I have to get back to Introductory Edit Class again :stuck_out_tongue:. That’s fine, a sign that things evolve.

I’m not sure if “mastering raw editing” exists, as raw editing always involves interpretation and personal taste - and monitors! :wink:
Be happy that things evolve for you, it’s always good to learn new things or to do existing things (your raw skills) better.

2 Likes

I was trying to change the annoying purple hue into something more yellow-ish in RT, but failed miserably!

DSC_8666_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (15.7 KB)

1 Like

Unless you want an artistic depiction, purple-blue is what that light looks like at night, more a less like my edit.

For reference, I took this minutes ago while walking the dog (cheap smartphone). They left one of the bulbs turned on, it might give a clue to what the hue might look like (look at the bulb borders)

2 Likes

Oh sorry, I thought it comes from the difference in colour temperature between inside the bar and church illumination :sweat_smile:
Do they use blue tinted LED light?

Some changes in GIMP-LAB

3 Likes

No need for sorry, after all, playraw is a free style territory. :grinning:

As for the type of bulb, I don’t know nothing about types (tried to google but couldn’t determine for sure what type is this one). One thing is certain: the hue is strong purple-blue at night.

1 Like

Nice edits, @Zbyma72age , very clear, although you’ve eliminated the purple blue church hue. (which is probably the right decision aesthetics wise)

I can’t speak for Ingo or any RT code, in dt the “highlights reconstruction” is clearly a weaker point. The clip algorithms works ok in many cases (at least i think so) but it’s definitely not reconstructing. The “reconstruct color” is very prone to generating artefacts.

I have just started a fresh and “clean room” implementation for a hopefully much better color-propagating algorithm, let’s see. (I’ll give you a hint if there is something noteworthy)

About your question in an exact way, i don’t know about the history of the RT & dt algos and have no strong opinion on any advantage.

1 Like

Thanks, @hannoschwalm I should have been more specific, sorry.
The point is the new culling app @qdwang is building (QuickRawPicker, see this thread), where I found inconsistencies between QRP’s raw clipping indicator and dt’s. It’s not about highlight recovery, just the clipping overlay in both software.
EDIT: I think @qdwang is trying to change his code to match dt, but he noticed that dt determines clipping different from RawTherapee, so he asked which way I suggest him to go (but I’m not talking for him, just what I think is going on)

2 Likes

Gotham CIty… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DSC_8666.nef.xmp (19.8 KB)

3 Likes

cracking foto

a bit darker, it is night after all :slight_smile:

Night scene - At the bar_DSC_8666.nef.xmp (11.3 KB)

4 Likes

DSC_8666.nef.arp (12.2 KB)

6 Likes