[Play Raw] Processing a very high-contrast raw

RAF
DSCF3284.RAF.tif.out.pp3 (10,7 KB)

some quick RT basics, gmic popshadows + simplelocalcontrast, color-efex vignette + warm-up curve

thx for this nice play raw

Here is my first take with PhotoFlow. @isagalaev - thanks for sharing this image, it’s an excellent example for testing the various shadow adjustment methods!

My edit is mostly based on exposure compensation + ad-hoc masks, plus some fine tuning with RGB curves:

DSCF3284-PhF

And the corresponding PFI file: DSCF3284.pfi (84.5 KB)

Hi Morgan,

I have downloaded your .PP3 file and tried to apply it to the RAF file of this playraw, to see how you achieved your excellent result in practice. However, after opening the RAF file in RT and applying your PP3 file with the “Load a profile from file”, this is how the processed image looks like:

Here is the information about my RT version, running under OSX:

Version: 5.3
Branch: 5.3
Commit: ec0f7936
Commit date: 2017-09-30
Compiler: clang-mp-3 3.9.1
Processor: generic x86
System: Apple
Bit depth: 64 bits
Gtkmm: V3.22.1
Lensfun: V0.3.2.0
Build type: release
Build flags: -arch x86_64 -O3 -mmacosx-version-min=10.9 -march=x86-64 -std=c++11 -mtune=generic -Werror=unused-label -mmacosx-version-min=10.9 -flto -fopenmp=libomp -Werror=unknown-pragmas -Wall -Wno-unused-result -Wno-deprecated-declarations -O3 -DNDEBUG
Link flags: -arch x86_64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.9 -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -headerpad_max_install_names -flto
OpenMP support: ON
MMAP support: ON

Any idea why the output looks so different with respect to your edit?

Thanks!

The version @Morgan_Hardwood used has some new tools. For example:

[FattalToneMapping]
Enabled=true

Thanks Ingo! Is there a place where one can download bleeding-edge OSX builds? If not, would there be some interest in such a possibility?

@Carmelo_DrRaw

2 Likes

Stupid me! I completely forgot about that thread… thanks!

1 Like

Also, if the image still doesn’t match, you might want to checkout a commit from dev from the day I posted that image, as Fattal’s behavior changed over time and I’m not sure whether its behavior from the day I posted hadn’t changed till today. Backwards compatibility is absolutely not supported for development builds, but we do try to support it for stable releases.

1 Like

What are those?

Cool. Is that an application of a certain paper? I know Fattal has a bunch of stuff on tone mapping.

Currently we’re hijacking this thread. Let’s create a new thread…

1 Like

Gradient Domain High Dynamic Range Compression
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/hdr/
But it was changed by many people before it fell into our hands.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Processing another very high dynamic range raw

I did not want to move this as his post touches both the current and his own image. that’s why i asked @Gobo to start a new thread.

Specifically for darktable. Mask features in darktable is what I would love to use and what I am missing in LR. I was thinking about GIMP when I saw tutorials with masks in dt so I decided to give it a try.

Maybe it’s a bit late but here is my try with darktable :slight_smile:

DSCF3284__02.RAF.xmp (8.1 KB)

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Play Raw] Processing another very high dynamic range raw

I’ve finally managed to create my own version!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isagalaev/39484570314/in/photostream/

There’s still a lot I don’t like about this particular end result, but thanks to you all I now have all the power to do with pixels whatever I want! (Deciding what that is is a whole another story :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Looks great!

I think I’ve overdone it with blue-ness of the sky a bit :slight_smile:

Wow, interesting picture. Very difficult to get what was in my mind (and I couldn’t get it, still working on it), but it worth trying!

I know I’m a bit late, but I couldn’t resist to the challenge.
My workflow in DT is based on global tonemap and everything after it was to give back some contrast and 3rd dimension feeling to the picture. Eventually I had to use a drawn+parametric task for levels in order to bring back the green part in the shadow. Still not happy with the green color!

DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (2.1 KB)