[Play Raw] Processing a very high-contrast raw

What are those?

Cool. Is that an application of a certain paper? I know Fattal has a bunch of stuff on tone mapping.

Currently we’re hijacking this thread. Let’s create a new thread…

1 Like

Gradient Domain High Dynamic Range Compression
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/hdr/
But it was changed by many people before it fell into our hands.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Processing another very high dynamic range raw

I did not want to move this as his post touches both the current and his own image. that’s why i asked @Gobo to start a new thread.

Specifically for darktable. Mask features in darktable is what I would love to use and what I am missing in LR. I was thinking about GIMP when I saw tutorials with masks in dt so I decided to give it a try.

Maybe it’s a bit late but here is my try with darktable :slight_smile:

DSCF3284__02.RAF.xmp (8.1 KB)

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Play Raw] Processing another very high dynamic range raw

I’ve finally managed to create my own version!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isagalaev/39484570314/in/photostream/

There’s still a lot I don’t like about this particular end result, but thanks to you all I now have all the power to do with pixels whatever I want! (Deciding what that is is a whole another story :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Looks great!

I think I’ve overdone it with blue-ness of the sky a bit :slight_smile:

Wow, interesting picture. Very difficult to get what was in my mind (and I couldn’t get it, still working on it), but it worth trying!

I know I’m a bit late, but I couldn’t resist to the challenge.
My workflow in DT is based on global tonemap and everything after it was to give back some contrast and 3rd dimension feeling to the picture. Eventually I had to use a drawn+parametric task for levels in order to bring back the green part in the shadow. Still not happy with the green color!

DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (2.1 KB)

I thought I’d take a try at this one with Darktable. Not sure if this is what you were after, but maybe it could help.

DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (4.5 KB)

DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (6.4 KB)

Not really a complete process, just to share this tone mapping technique:

1 Like

I passed by your image, and thought of like Jurassic park/dinosaur island lol, so I made an edit to reflect that
%5BPLAYRAW%5D%20Jurassic

1 Like

Darktable : mainly exposure with mask, base curve, shadows/highlights.
DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (4.6 KB)

Using the worflow I detail in Solving dynamic range problems in a linear way, here is my second take :

DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (14.5 KB)

After 11 months of learning new things, here is my alt. Should be similar to my first attempt but with even exposure and without the smoothing because the new workflow doesn’t boost the noise. As for the sky, it is low in contrast and detail to begin with, so I kept it that way. If you look closely, the clouds are still there. As usual, it might not be as wonderful as some of the other entries, but I obtain satisfaction in the process of customizing and experimenting with my workflow at a low level even though I am amateur in everything. Getting better at it though. :slight_smile: I guess it would help if my screen weren’t so trashy and if I took the plunge with colour management…

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (none) → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → 32f
2. gmic → crop (1.5) → filter pixels → sharpen (high freq contrast) → HLG (curve) → blends (retinex, negate) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves)
3. pnmclahe → enhance contrast
4. gmic → adjust chroma (curve) → sharpen (LoG) → resize

Zoom 100% and enjoy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I thought I would try just basic adjustments with RT. Mostly make up for under exposure, contrast, white balance and some recovery when needed. Tried to upload a full sized jpg but couldn’t add the ppe file so reduced and sharpened.

Bit of sky darkening to add some depth.

DSCF3284.pp3 (10.2 KB)

Hope RT hasn’t messed the pp3 up. After saving I had a play with contrast by detail level and didn’t like the result - not after it was turned off either so quit and hope the pp3 wasn’t overwritten.

John

A bit overdone really :laughing: but easy via the GIMP from my other one.

The layer stack

GimpStack

The middle layer is duplicate of the orginal in overlay mode, desaturated and contrast, brightness and opacity adjusted to brighten darker areas but leaving an image that is a bit flat. Then new from visible and soft light - adjust opacity to suite. :hushed: 100% is excessive.

John