[PlayRAW] Autumn Island

I haven’t participated in any of the past play raw rounds myself – mostly because I don’t think I am terribly good at processing pictures – but as there wasn’t any new material for you to play with recently you may have one of mine. :slight_smile:

The shot was taken last October on the banks of the Rhine river. It was a misty day, some rain, some sun. Finding a moment where neither a ship nor a train was in the frame was challenging, waiting for more movement in the water for a more visible long-exposure effect would have taken too long. So this is the best I got.

My sample was entirely processed in a development build of darktable (stable releases won’t open the XMP). I didn’t go to GIMP to stamp away the power lines in the background due to lazy. If I were to print this and hang it on the wall I would do so, maybe even get rid of the blue jetty. But this is about editing raw files, isn’t it?

Raw file: 6Q1B7618.CR2 (24.9 MB)
XMP: 6Q1B7618.CR2.xmp (8.1 KB)

These files are licensed (Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike).

6 Likes
  1. You have to practice to get better.
  2. I find this statement to be quite ironic :stuck_out_tongue:
2 Likes

Reminds me of a softer Van Diemen’s Land landscape… or maybe not. So first thing first, thank you @houz for the island, for the raaewwoe and the jumping stones.

Started camly, with good intentions in digikama; but depsite enabling the write to sodacar file, the tif was alone… on a dark corner, crying and hungry. Probably I set up only for non writable files only, need new glases and more wine. So just a tweak and a twat and was this

Then carried on to gimp and gmic. Gmic was a good lad with the fuji color and the grain and all, but gimp crashed me twice just 'cos some stupid rotation; I totally lost my nerve, killed him and end up in the whore house (adobe’s) just to do this shit

thanks god I’m not Adams’ son, hih ihii

4 Likes

Here’s my quick and dirty attempt using RawTherapee

6Q1B7618-1.jpg.out.pp3 (10.7 KB)

I like how you moved the focus over to the water body and away from the island. It looks like a small river now. :smiley:

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: CIE color not working in RT 5.1?

6Q1B7618.CR2.pp3 (10.9 KB)

RawTherapee 5.1 with some wavelet contrast / local contrast, and Lab* curves. Two items from water removed in GIMP with the healing tool.

Darktable:
6Q1B7618.CR2.xmp (12.6 KB)

My take in this was to move a little cooler and darker in general tone while pushing up the saturation. There is beautiful color in those rocks! Cropping out the distracting stick … it was just too much of a distraction. The image as shot had a really nice feeling.

4 Likes

Nice photo! I had a little play with it as well:

6Q1B7618.CR2.xmp (25.9 KB)

I’m not sure what’s up with the white balance in the image. When I use the shade/cloudy presets in darktable I get a quite extreme yellow/orange hue. While I’ve seen the heavens in a strange glow like that 14:30 in the afternoon is a strange time for that. Any idea @houz?

1 Like

My take – RT and a bit of gimp to boost the contrast in the rocks and water.
Thanks for sharing!

6Q1B7618.CR2.pp3 (10.6 KB)

1 Like

A picture postcard kind of look using RT and then GIMP.
6Q1B7618.jpg.out.pp3 (10.9 KB)

6 Likes

Definitely one of the best PlayRaws so far, IMHO. The results are very different which was not the case with some earlier PlayRaws.

Cheap ND filter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not meant to be realistic… Quite close to Agriggio’s version it seems.

6Q1B7618_Hombre_RawTherapee.pp3 (10.8 KB)

My attempt using Filmulator.

I used the pre-film histogram to correct the WB (using the precise input dials), 100 drama, and unusually for me I turned up vibrance to 38 and saturation to 64.

2 Likes

I like the image and @houz edit, hence I stole the crop. For my personal taste I would like the colours to look a little more natural, whilst still trying to maximize the saturation.

A couple of attempts in RawTherapee shamefully still on 4.2 :blush: .

First with the usual tools, I was fairly happy, except I didn’t like the whiteness of the water.

AutumnIsland-Houz.jpg.out.pp3 (10.5 KB)

And second I continued my dip into retinex, in an attempt to address the issues with attempt 1.

AutumnIsland-Houz-Retinex.jpg.out.pp3 (10.7 KB)

EDIT: Best of both merged with a simple layer mask in Gimp

2 Likes

Very nice image to work on, thanks.
I wanted to -
o Have a square crop with the left tree-line diagonal going into the top corner.
o Increase the contrast in the sky and recover those highlights.
o Increase the saturation, especially in those beautiful red rocks
o Bring out the detail in the rocks
o Hang it in a frame

As this is play_raw, it is all done in darktable, no GIMP.
6Q1B7618.CR2.xmp (17.4 KB)

4 Likes

Raw imported with Photoflow (no correction), then Gimp

Becomes a bit reddish with my Firefox… Holy Web, pray for us!!!

1 Like

Nice image to play with, @houz. There’s sure a wide variety of interpretations.

I took a crack at it with RT…

1 Like