[PlayRaw] Oronsay Island, Skye

In the interests of improving my raw processing, I thought it would be interesting to see what others can do with this picture of Oronsay Island, Skye, taken at dusk from Ullinish Poiint. I’ve attached the image as a zipped pentax .pef raw file (the forum doesn’t seem to like uploading a pentax .pef file directly).

IMGP2593.PEF.zip (8.3 MB)

I’ve also attached my own take on this image:

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike)

Regards,

Brian

10 Likes

Can’t wait to get my hands on this one!
Nice share, thanks!

1 Like

Awesome shot!!
And I like your version.

3 Likes

@McCap How did you process this one if you don’t mind me asking? What software did you use?

Sorry, I forgot to mention.
Mostly done in RT. Raised the shadows (shadow and highlights), then returned the contrast using a curve. raised the luminance and the chrominance of the yellows and adjacent colors. Added an inverse gradient to darken the front.

I actually just wanted to desaturate the front in Gimp, but ended up adding some more glow to the island and actually overdoing it a little. Especially the thin left part of the island is, for me, to bright.

1 Like

Really nice one to play with! Here’s my try with darktable:

6 Likes

you should NOT be allowed to play with this image

1 Like

@chroma_ghost Nay, sombreros come in all shapes and sizes. Doesn’t the island look like one?

ha ha ha… you asking… to me it clearly shows a snake ate a submarine

Awesome photo! Here is my attempt in RawTherapee:

3 Likes

My try with DT. Great photo.

IMGP2593.PEF.xmp (8.4 KB)

Getting rid of the dark edges on the far left coast.

IMGP2593.PEF.xmp (12.4 KB)

1 Like

Nice pic, would love to visit Skye one day.

Brian-Oronsay-IMGP2593.jpg.out.pp3 (11.4 KB)

1 Like

Here is my first attempt. I have opted for putting the horizon in the middle of the frame, and tried to get the best out of the foreground grass and dark clouds using curves and gradients. Finished by a bit of vignetting and sharpening.

All processing done in PhotoFlow.
PFI file: IMGP2593.pfi (36.3 KB)

6 Likes

I think I’ve fixed the “uploading a PEF file” problem. If it doesn’t work in the future just ping me and I’ll get it sorted right out.

Thanks for sharing a wonderful shot! I went B&W with mine. Two tweaks, one focusing on the foreground/land, and the second on the clouds.

IMGP2593.PEF-FG.pp3 (11.4 KB)
IMGP2593.PEF-SKY.pp3 (11.3 KB)

There wasn’t really much interesting happening way up high in the clouds, so I opted for a 2.35 cinematic crop putting the horizon on the upper third:

11 Likes

IMGP2593.PEF-4.pp3 (9.6 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, great picture.
Here’s my take, RT plus GIMP for darkening the sky.

IMGP2593.PEF.pp3 (11.0 KB)

thanks @Brian_Innes for the sombrero-snake raw and all the pips dunkin down strong a soundzzzz.
I got all happy went LZ and gimpˆgmic… but forgot to take off the sunglasses, ssshhhhhhhhhhheeeeeiiiiiiiiiit

run headless chicken, RUUIUUUNNNN!!!

PS
BTW, my joke

you should NOT be allowed to play with this image

was regarding @stonefree ironic name =)

2 versions in RawTherapee layered in Gimp, followed by edge sharpening in the wavelet tool applied in RT.

IMGP2593.PEF.pp3 (12.3 KB)

6 Likes

This is with Filmulator with drama at 70 and GIMP with a duplicated layer set to softlight and 80% opacity:

3 Likes

While I’m thinking about it, would you mind adding a license to the image (pretty) please?

1 Like