Testing : Qt-based version of the G'MIC plug-in for GIMP

First try to use with Manjaro 64 bit:
Texture enhance → output on new layer works with old Gmic Gimp plugin, but gives a totally transparent layer with Gimp Qt.

Hello everyone,

On Windows 7 - 64 bit (Gimp 2.8.20) there are some filters which do not work when you repeat them.
More precisely, Enhance_texture and Dream smoothing always fail.

To reproduce this bug:

• Apply the Enhance_texture (or Dream_smoothing) filter: first time it works ;
  • From the Gimp GUI click on : Filter > repeat G’mic - QT 2.0.0 ;
  • A box whith an error always appear: “Errror in :unknown command or filename” .

I have recorded a video to show this issue:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3095134/PC_TRUCCHI/BUGS_2017/GMIC_TEXTURE_ENHANCE_ERROR.avi

I have also tried to get a log.txt file (looked for them into: Temp on Windows) but they are never availaible later on. For doing so, I have tried many settings. E.g. “Very verbose log file”.

P.s: as reported by Lylejk this new Qt version is slower to launch compared to the Gtk version (It only occurs the first time you try it; later on, it is faster).

Hello, a few comment on the 32bit versions which I have managed to get running on my vintage Windows ME (+ KernelEx) system.

First of all, the qwindows.dll bundled with the 32bit version is 64bit, replacing it with a 32bit one should get it all running on Windows Vista 32bit and above.

Second is that the 5.8.0 QT files aren’t compatible with my system and aren’t with even XP I believe. Fortunately replacing them all with their 5.7.1 counterparts makes it work OK.

For the Gimp plugin I placed the QT dlls in the bin folder and placed the platforms folder along with the plugin.

With the standalone version I can open and save only png files and using the file open dialog doesn’t work, it spawns another (invisible) instance instead of loading the png. Dragging a file onto the program icon loads the png fine however. Saving a png with save dialog works fine.

On all versions I kept the old libcurl dll and its dependencies as the new one gives some GNUTLS error messages and adds plenty of new dependencies and I can then run the standalone with only the following files:

platforms/qwindows.dll
gmic_qt.exe
libcurl-4.dll
libeay32_.dll
libfftw3-3.dll
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
libgomp-1.dll
libpng16-16.dll
libssh2-1_.dll
libstdc+±6.dll
libwinpthread-1.dll
Qt5Core.dll
Qt5Gui.dll
Qt5Network.dll
Qt5Widgets.dll
zlib1.dll
zlib1_.dll

The CLI version (this is non QT related) is now dependent on libIlmImf-2_2.dll which is incompatible with my system and I believe XP too. I could get it working by hexing the culprit which is the secure imported function “_wsopen_s” to its non-secure counterpart “_wsopen”. I believe this only works insofar as this function never gets actually called during operation.

Oh and btw, ZArt runs fine doing the same things as with QT standalone.

All in all it’s been a bit of a fiddle to get it all running but I am glad I did it as it’s really worth it.

Thanks to everybody involved. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for all your feedback ! That is incredibly useful, even if that means more work for us right now :slight_smile:

David,

I have this annoying bug: often, after using the Qt plugin 2 or 3 times on an image, an error message pops up saying that it couldn’t download the update file, and after closing the error window G’MIC closes and reports a crash of the plugin in the Gimp error console.
And the most annoying thing is that most of the time I have to close the image to be able to use G’MIC again, or the same error pops up again. Sometimes if leave the first image open, and open a second and load G’MIC on the new image, then I can load G’MIC again when I switch back to the first one. Below is a screenshot:

… surprising that you have a plugin pre from 170101! You should have one from 170309 or even younger!

Well, I’m using the Manjaro Linux binary, I don’t know if there’s a new one uploaded, I’ll check that.

Hello Sébastien,
Thanks for reporting, I’ll follow up your message to Sébastien Fourey, the developer of the Qt interface for G’MIC.
I’m not surprised by your pre-release date, as it is the ‘default’ date set when compiling the plug-in without specifying a pre-release date explicitly (which is something I haven’t done indeed on Manjaro).

Hi everyone,

I’ve uploaded new binary packages including the G’MIC-Qt plug-in for Linux / Windows, that should fix some of the bugs you’ve already reported (@sguyader in particular).
If you want to help, you are welcome to install this new pre-release version and tell us what you think !

http://gmic.eu/files/prerelease/
(dated 15th of March).

Thanks a lot !

1 Like

@David,
The bug seems to be gone with the new binary. It also feels more responsive and to launch more quickly (maybe is it just subjective).
Great work!

1 Like

Hello, with QT standalone, colorize lineart (smart coloring) and colorize lineart (auto-fill) don’t send results to save dialog, they send the original image.

1 Like

Hello David,

Just tested today’s version ( Gmic_gimp_qt_win64.exe ) on:

• Windows 10 (64 bit) ;
  • Gimp 2.8.20.

Everything is fine !
I suppose it won’t take long before it is marked as stable :slight_smile:

Btw, with the stand-alone version (gmic_qt_win64.Zip) on Windows 10 you can not open jpeg images (neither save your png images as jpeg).
At present, only png images are imported and saved correctly.

1 Like

Hello. Yes, that is expected at this point,as we don’t manage (yet) multiple output for a filter, which is actually the case with the filter you mention.
Hopefully, this will be done in the future.

Another monday, another pre-release :slight_smile:
I’ve just posted new binaries for pre-release 2.0.0_pre. Things are hopefully getting better and better.
I don’t remember all the improvements done since my last post, but at least :

• Better dark theme
  • Faves now stored in text files to make them portable from one computer to another (were using the registry on Windows, before).
  • Better preview widget. Swap preview by clicking on right mouse button.
  • ‘Use native color dialog’ setting available.
  • Lot of new translated languages available for the interface (see picture below :)).

As usual, your feedback will be appreciated !

http://gmic.eu/files/prerelease/

PS: We are in touch with Krita developer Boudewijn Rempt, and we cross our fingers strongly, but there are chances the Qt-based G’MIC plug-in may run in Krita one day or another :joy: !

Hello David,

Just tested today’s version on Windows 7 - 64 bit (Gimp 2.8.20)
gmic_qt_win64.exe works extremely fine !

More precisely:

• Italian translation is applied on my Computer ;
  • New dark theme is nice (better than previous one) ;
  • Right-click on preview is super useful ;
  • Tested a bunch of filters and they are all applied corretly ;
  • More importantly, no crash whatsoever !

Btw, really glad about your news regarding Krita.
Old Gmic_Gtk vesion was a real pain on the neck on Windows : it was quite often broken on every Krita update…

EDIT :
I suppose this is a bug: on Windows 7 (64 bit) and Gimp 2.8.20 you can not easily select the button to move right-left the preview window. Its button is sometimes ticked on but most of the time I am unable to click on it correctly (in order to enable it).
The button to select the dark theme does not work : Tried several times to click on it to enable it but it remains always unticked.
I have recorded a video to show this issue:

Thanks a lot for your incredible work so far :slight_smile:

@Silvio_Grosso,
Maybe this is as simple as this, but when a radio button has a bright color (in the dark theme), it means it is already set.
In your video, it looks like you are trying to activate buttons that are already set !
(the preview is already on the left for instance).

Or am I missing something ?

Hi @David_Tschumperle, if you can make a Manjaro binary, I’d be glad to give it a test drive!

Hello David,

@David_Tschumperle:

Maybe this is as simple as this, but when a radio button has a bright color (in the dark theme), it means it is already set.

Yep. This is precisely what confuses me…
Usually, I am inclined to think that you have to tick a check-box in order to make it active (that is, set it as ON, in order to enable its function).
With the current dark theme it is the reverse (the theme is dark when the check-box is “empty”)…

IMHO, with the light theme it is easier to understand the meaning of the check-boxes.

Here is a screen-shot to make myself clearer:

Hello @Silvio_Grosso,
Maybe a few words about the dark theme : it is a ‘custom’ hack using CSS to make the theme darker, but we don’t have full controls on all the colors of the widgets (that’s particularly true for the radio buttons and check boxes).
What we tried to do is mainly to ‘invert’ the color scheme of the light scheme.
To me this looks quite natural as it is :

• The button is dark when it is set in the light theme.
  • So it becomes bright when it is set in the dark theme.

Hello David,

Thanks a lot indeed for your help ! :slight_smile: