What OS are you running?

Interesting article, thanks @Claes. I’ve never actually need to use my swap partition, despite doing a few 360x180 degree HDR panoramas using ~90 odd images. With regards to Manjaro, I’ve still got a few issues, so I’m really not sure whether it’s a sensible OS choice for me.

Yes, rolling distro means up to date software, but to be honest I fear it may require just too much system maintenance.

I fear it may require just too much system maintenance.

Oh? In my opition, it more or less takes care of itself.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

After moving through several distributions over many years I finally decided that the first decision that I needed to make was which desktop worked best for me. I find that XFCE, tuned the way I like it is clean and fast while the ‘pretty’ KDE is (for me) a nightmare.
I now run Manjaro/Arch+XFCE. … exceptionally stable, fast and runs on a 12 year old as well as a current hardware base. I run darktable from the git that is automatically built without my input.
Rock stability, fast, continuous updating and a sensible desktop … what’s not to like?

2 Likes

The main reason i went for linux mint Cinnamon is that XFCE (at the time) didn’t support colour management through colord. Apparently the latest version does (4.14).

Anyway I got Mint Cinnamon reinstalled as neither the partition images or timeshift got my backed up mint installation restored.

I’ll see how i get on over the next few months at least until Mint 20 comes out.
As you say @davidvj, it’s good to settle on a DE which works best for yourself. At the moment for me it’s pretty much Cinnamon.

I do have a laptop which is needing an earlier version of mint upgraded. Perhaps I could use that as a test bed for various distros & de, leaving my main desktop functioning as it is with mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

I’m running the latest Debian with Xfce as DE.

Did a little background story in one of the other threads floating around here: Which Linux distro? - #212 by Jade_NL

2 Likes

A smirky answer might be: “all of them.”

I have a trio of Macs, a desktop Win10 machine, iPads and several Chromebooks - some running Crostini, and my old unbolted 2013 Chromebook Pixel running native Ubuntu.

I recently bought a Galaxy Chromebook & am loving the AMOLED display though it’s so far above my other PCs in that department it’s hard to know if my color calibrations are even remotely right. Things that look fantastic on the AMOLED can look pretty rubbish when I see them on a Mac :confused: