White balance applied twice

Hello, I have a problem. I work on scene referred workflow and it automatically turns color calibration module and make colors look better, but if i want to adjust white balance in wb module i cant. Sure, i can turn color calibration to none but then colors arent that good like they were with cat 16 mode. I have been trying to figure out how to deal with this all day. Any help? Thanx

1 Like

When you use Color Calibration, you leave the white balance module at D65.

If you want to fine tune the white balance, do it in Color Calibration.

If the white balance looks good, use another instance or Color Calibration or Color Balance RGB.

2 Likes

As Mica says, if you use the color calibration module you should make adjustments in that, if you set it to “custom” you can set pretty much any color tone you want.

If you want to make adjustments in the white balance module, you should turn of CC or set to bypass, and set the WB module to ‘as shot’, for a starting point.
That should get you fairly close to what you saw with CC, but you always will see a difference as the CC module does more sophisticated adaption.

1 Like

Another option to fine tune the color after CC module is to use rgb curves and adjust the individual red, green or blue curve to fine tune the color. I find myself doing this often as it can be quicker and easier than trying to fine tune the WB or CC modules. I am not sure if anyone else may have a valid criticism of this suggestion, but I welcome feedback if this is bad practice.

Interesting. I find the CC module quite hard to use (compared to the WB module) so this might be something I can try.

How are you using it and what part is difficult…

@Jardiceeek Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay!

@Terry Nothing wrong with curves. CC can’t solve every challenge.

@n01r CC uses a newer understanding of light and colour. More factors mean that we have to deal with more parameters. Please read the docs and let us know what you don’t understand. Keep in mind that they are in development and therefore incomplete.

I don’t think any major changes to CC or documents so its pretty complete IMO for that topic…
Even the introduction to the module now Nov 2020 is pretty clear and comprehensive…

See my link: I don’t see any pretty GUI or sample pictures like AP’s post, only text.

Perhaps because the dt manual is a reference (only), where AP’s article explains theory and practical use of the module.

I am using the WB/CC controls in their default setup. I am adjusting CC, leaving the WB alone (as advised). I hardly ever get offered a colour temperature control. I find a hue control to be counterintuitive.

I found this counterintuitive at first but with a bit of rethinking, now I find I can get good results very quickly. In colour calibration, If you first click on ‘as shot’ to ensure that it is using the camera wb, then if you want to change it, click on custom.

Think of the hue slider as the colour of the light source. I tend to just leave this alone in most cases.

Think of the chroma as the amount of correction you are applying to correct for the light source. So for example if you had a warm slightly red tungsten light (I guess not many people have those anymore!) slide it more to the left to reduce the amount of correction and get a warmer look. Or slide to the right to correct it more and get a cooler more neutral look.

I find this approach quicker and achieves more a natural look than messing with temperature and tint sliders.

Hope this helps. It is an example of darktable having a different approach but actually it is quite logical and easy to use once you get used to it.

2 Likes

I will try that, thanks.

1 Like

There is a small glitch in CC module. I have defined a preset that is ‘as shot’ to get the same WB setting as in camera. See the issue in Changing illuminant to custom in color calibration changes image tone · Issue #9968 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub.

Is it less practical than it can be for the majority? I guess we have the forum and other resources to fall back on.

That’s exactly how I use it …

1 Like

I think the text does explain it and for what it’s worth I saw several request from people for more examples and sceenshots much like rawpedia when the move was made to the new documentation format for the manual and this was rejected as a bad idea or for some reason and so the Spartan text is I believe a conscious design choice

Good to know. I am not advocating one way or another. Just acknowledging the untechnical audience. Even though I am always super considerate, my supervisor constantly reminds me that we are the experts and can’t expect others to be at that level or have the desire to be such.

Anyway, sorry folks for the detour. Let’s talk about WB modules!

Me either but I do like visuals I think here @kofa is a good example He writes thoughtful detailed responses often with a nice string of screenshots offering nice clear explanations. @s7habo Boris does the same. I think in this day in age if you aren’t visual people often tune out quickly… So clean text based information might be lean and mean but might be lacking for some

The manual is a manual about how to use darktable. It is not there to explain the many confusing concepts around digital image processing.

Yes, “spartan” is a design choice. The manual is 300 pages and right now is mostly the one man band of @elstoc. We had hoped that moving to markdown would encourage new contributors, but we have not had landed anyone that has stuck around.

The more that is in the manual, the more work it is to maintain. Screenshots and other types of graphics are especially costly in terms of time. Text is the most effected in terms of cost to maintain. Since it is mostly a reference manual, we also assume that you have darktable open in front of you while you’re using the manual.

What other app is shipping a manual this long now-a-days?

3 Likes