All About Natron OFX Plugins

This thread is dedicated to NATRON OFX ONLY discussions.
Please use the tag natron-ofx when asking ofx based questions.
It will help to sort and search Natron OFX questions for all the users.

Some past discussion:

Hi,

I’m planning on adding a WYSIWYG text editor/generator and just wanted to know if this is something the community wants? (I will make it anyway, but with less features if it’s only for myself) It will have less advanced features than ‘Text’, but will be easier to use and more flexible on actual text editing. It will not replace ‘Text’, but be more of a companion node. The plan was to call it ‘RichText’.

Currently it has very few features (as they depend on Natron):

Btw, I also take feature requests for ‘Text’.

I welcome feedback in any way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you mean supporting kOfxParamStringIsRichTextFormat in Natron, as in
Text: WYSIWYG (kOfxParamStringIsRichTextFormat) · Issue #2 · NatronGitHub/openfx-arena · GitHub ?
That should be fairly easy, since Qt4 already has most of the rich text editing capabilities. Rich Text Processing | Qt 4.8

Yes, should be easy (already done several modification on my branch). Just wanted some feedback (feature requests) before I started working more on it.

That would be great!
If you are using Qt Library, please consider exposing some animatable params for css stylsheet too. I did a plug for my production using pango+python. Which was very much hacky.

CSS might be tricky, I need to convert the HTML to Pango, but not ruled out.

My first goal is to just add some missing widgets to the rich text knob in Natron (align, background etc). Then I want to see the actual text in the editor widget, not code (I have already added font family). And finally I want to mark some part of the text in the editor and modify them independent of the rest. Basic “HTML” editor stuff.

The two last goals will need some work in Natron.

Then add other features needed, and (at some point) see if I can just merge this into ‘Text’ or continue as ‘RichText’.

I have no time frame on this project, will probably only have time on weekends to do actual work on it.

1 Like

Yes after commenting I just went through the doc again. Seems CSS is actually limited on qt. No worries, the WYSIWYG is more than enough. Thanks for your effort.

We should keep it to HTML4 traditional and probably avoid CSS.

Supported options in Pango:
https://developer.gnome.org/pygtk/stable/pango-markup-language.html

Yes, also Natron text has an issue of scaling in viewport.

If you are interested to see some pango+python action here. May be give some new idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4CR70sIg0

My HTML(+inline CSS) parser and converter (to Pango Markup) for ‘RichText’ now seems to work fairly good. I currently only support basic stuff like family, size and color, but will of course add more features (creating the parser was most of the hard work, the rest is easy). My hacks to Natron will also need to be fixed/re-written (avoid breaking single/multi line etc, I just hacked in rich text support without any regards to other stuff to start developing the plugin).

Screenshot of current state:

One step closer to wysiwyg :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I needed MIDI input for a specific project and made a very simple MIDI plugin for use in Natron. The plugin is not end-user friendly, but more aimed at advanced users that want to use/expand the plugin for specific uses.

The plugin is very simple (you assign a MIDI input ID and get values back) and probably contains a bug or two. Only tested on Windows and Linux (ALSA, JACK is supported but not tested).

I can add more features or do modifications if someone want to extend the plugin with PyPlug(s).

3 Likes

I’m going to check out your MIDI plug-in. Is it only one way (out only) or can I use a MIDI instrument to input values into Natron?

It’s input only at the moment. See openfx-arena/Midi at master · NatronGitHub/openfx-arena · GitHub for build instructions.