Celebrating my Pixls anniversary with a Play Raw!

I’ve just discovered that it’s been One Year since I joined the Pixls group - and I have a new badge. :grinning:
Thank you to all involved for creating this fantastic group and contributing to it!

Now the Play Raw … I took this shot early on a very chilly Sunday morning, and thought it would be an interesting one to play with. There’s a lot of dynamic range to contend with - I found it slightly hard to process but am fairly happy with the result, although I’m sure there’s other better interpretations possible!
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Open to critique as well.

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
DSC_7055.NEF (26.6 MB)
DSC_7055.NEF.xmp (21.6 KB)

13 Likes

DSC_7055.NEF.xmp (9.7 KB)

Congratulations! Nice to have you with us for a year … you’ve shared a lot with us in that time.

Thanks for the play … I couldn’t come up with anything particularly innovative. In fact, I prefer your rendition! Particularly the glow on the left-most silo. Like to share your sidecar?

3 Likes

Oh! Sorry I forgot my sidecar. Here it is. And thank you for making me welcome!:heart: I like the shadow tones in your version.
DSC_7055.NEF.xmp (21.6 KB)

Nice shot Steven. I look forward to playing around with it. It may be a nice shot to compare sigmoid, filmic and base curve options. Happy first birthday.

1 Like

Thank you for being here!

1 Like

I thought I would try for a very different look. Probably not a good edit, but at least different.
DSC_7055.NEF.xmp (16.3 KB)

3 Likes

This is a really interesting image. As a challenge to myself I did everything in ART rather than adding any further edits in another program. I used six Color / Tone Correction masks. :slight_smile:

DSC_7055.NEF.arp (20.5 KB)

Few notes:

• The vignette is overly-strong but intentional. Ideally it needs to be strong on the sky but less so on the structure. I really wanted to “focus” the setting sun, even if artificially. I also wanted to put the emphasis on all the interesting details around the lighted area. I “turned up” all the lights on the structure.

• I had to brighten up the conveyor belt (?) structure on the left side to support the asymmetrical composition.

• I also tried to warm up the sky but cool down the rest, to provide more separation, otherwise it just went too dark.

This is a graphically strong shot, with the conveyor visually echoing the stairway, all the strong verticals, etc. The more I look at it, the more I like it. There are a lot of possibilities in it.

Well done!

2 Likes

@lphilpot I like the edit and the way you have tried to emphasize the industrial look of the scene.

2 Likes

Channeling b&w film.

celebrating-DSC_7055_01.NEF.xmp (19.7 KB)
dt 4.2.1

5 Likes

What a beautiful edit! I really like the way the edges shine and the whole ‘industrial’ lightened stuff stands out. I looked at your .xmp but didn’t manage the edges to shine like that. Your edit is much more clear and mine is more dull, I always struggle with to much dullness but enhancing contrast only results in to deep shadows :woman_shrugging:
Anyway, here is my edit, I deceíded to go for a panoramic cut, cause I really like the line of the slide in the left of the picture leading to the main subject.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, all the versions are terrific I think!

@paperdigits thanks, same to you! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Terry I like that a lot - lower key but not to the extent that you loose foreground detail.

@lphilpot Ooh, interesting! I like it, except that I agree that the vignette is a little strong on the buildings… but it’s needed at the same time…

@Soupy I was hoping someone would do a BW version! :raised_hand: It enhances the graphic feel very nicely.

@Alyx Thanks! I think the more muted feel works well, and I really like the pano format. Never thought of that… as to my edit, my usual approach is fairly crude really - I boost contrast (a lot sometimes) in sigmoid, then use tone eq (sometimes more than one instance) usually starting with a compress shadows/highlights GF preset to bring shadows and highlights back.
I like it but… not to everyone’s taste to be sure :smile:

I think I’d alter the idea a bit and go with something like this:

DSC_7055.NEF.xmp (10.8 KB)

5 Likes

Very nice… I didn’t go that route with the first as I took this one too - but the birds do look very nice on the first. Thanks! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks. I began by exposing for the subject - in this case the industrial thing (technical term) centre frame. That lifted the shadows, so I lowered them again with tone eq. That + the diffuse and sharpen module called ‘dehaze’ (a preset I made) is where the shine comes from. In order to get the clarity and contrast, I started with a local contrast preset in diffuse and sharpen module and pumped it to 48 iterations. That would probably be too much in colour, but get away with it in b&w.

I like the hazy feel of your edit, and some others here too.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this great image and congratulations on the anniversary.
I have tried to make the most of this glorious sky colour while showing a little of the foreground interest. Done in GIMP as always.

2 Likes

I am lucky to have a group like this and users like you. Congratulations.
My version…

DSC_7055.NEF.xmp (16.8 KB)

2 Likes

DSC_7055.NEF.xmp (12.4 KB)

3 Likes

Ha! More great and different slants on the image.
@david very nice colours. There’s an interesting effect on the tree at far right - it looks almost backlit, as if the sun was already on it. :slightly_smiling_face:
@dqpcoxeas wow my pic looks good in your inimitable style! :wink:
@Thomas_Do Another panoramic crop - it does work well. And I never thought of it! Very natural tones in this one.

1 Like

If I may, here’s what I think is a better take on my previous attempt.

DSC_7055.NEF.arp (20.7 KB)

2 Likes

That looks good! The same feel as your first, but much more ‘believable’ if you know what I mean. Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like