[Play Raw] Noctilucent clouds

DSCF2925_01

Noctilucent clouds (or night shining clouds) observed and photographed during a wonderful night in the harbor of Flensburg. This is the location:

I hope you enjoy editing this night shot. I think the raw data as such are not particularly challenging. It is more about keeping it to look like a night shot or just being creative :slight_smile: Let’s see what you come up with.

Here is the raw file: DSCF2925.RAF (23.0 MB) The license is CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

xmp of my above edit: DSCF2925_05.RAF.xmp (17.8 KB) (edit: it’s for dartkable 2.7)

31 Likes

RT 5.6

DSCF2925 DSCF2925.jpg.out.pp3 (11,7 KB)

6 Likes

Moin, das ist ein feines Foto.

DSCF2925.RAF.xmp (8,5 KB)

7 Likes

With my wife’s help …

DSCF2925.RAF.xmp (13.2 KB)

9 Likes

DSCF2925.RAF.xmp (9,3 KB)

4 Likes

Nice picture.
Here is my take with RT 5.6

DSCF2925.RT2.jpg.out.pp3 (12.5 KB)

3 Likes

DSCF2925.RAF.xmp (5.2 KB) DSCF2925_01.RAF.xmp (5.7 KB)

11 Likes

Nice shot! here is my take

darktable (2.6.2): DSCF2925.RAF.xmp (7.1 KB)

5 Likes

edit:
added a little of saturation

DSCF2925.pfi (34.8 KB)

1 Like

Photoflow. Just using shadows/hilights and a colour correction layer.

DSCF2925.pfi (28.4 KB)

5 Likes

Great picture. Here is my try, Raw Therapee 5.6.

DSCF2925.jpg.out.pp3 (12.6 KB)

5 Likes

Certainly impressive image. I love it! :grinning:

RT 5.6 wavelenh branch

DSCF2925.png.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

8 Likes

DSCF2925-3.jpg.out.pp3 (11,5 KB)

5 Likes

Super shot @wocket and fun to play with. The sky is the obvious star of the show, but I really liked the reflected glow that was available from the boat in the foreground. I didn’t really do much with this, as it was pretty enjoyable as-is.

DSCF2925.RAF.xmp (4.4 KB)

8 Likes

Very nice image!!

In RT:

• basics + tried to add a little color contrast in the oranges and the blues

In Gimp:

• Boosted the reds on the “ground” and the blues in the sky and water using R and B channels in luminance mode and selecting locations with masks. Just adds a little magic!

5 Likes

In RT , how do you add "color contrast in the oranges and the blue " ?

I used the lab tool, hue, vs hue equalizer but you could also you the HSV tool. Look in which hue range the colors are and the spread that range, e.g. pull the oranges towards the red and the yellows towards the green.
Same for the sky, pull the blues towards thepink and the teal towards the green.
Depending on the image and how close the hues are to one another this works sometimes better and sometimes it doesn’t.

I tried "mask and notification > LC H " but the effect was so subltle , I could hardly see any difference.
Color and light gave some effect:

Maybe I’m on the wrong place …

admittedly, for this image the effect was hardly visible. :nerd_face:
But on some images it adds just a tad of something, though it is never something super apparent.

Here is a crop of the waterfront.

With Hue Contrast

Without Hue Contrast

And here are the settings in the Hue vs. Hue Equalizer:

If you scroll back and forth between the two images you can kind of see the effect on the houses.
Hope this helped

2 Likes