Localization - How To Translate RawTherapee and RawPedia

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Translating_RawTherapee

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Translating_RawPedia

5 Likes

Thanks for these information, Morgan. But the process for participation on Rawpedia doesn’t work. I tried to register but I got a negative answer that a registration is not possible.

Maybe, you have some personal for translation work. But I miss a German translation. My Idea was to decide, if I produce some more German tutorials for more special function than I did it before. Or I can help German users more by translation of the Rawpedia.

What do you think? Do you have persons which are actually working for a German translation or do you looking for?

Best regards, Frank

1 Like

Yes, me. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Sorry, you are talkling about RawPedia - that’s not me. :blush:

Did you the translate the software texts? :slight_smile: I was surprised about the good translation in Version 5!

I read the Rawtherapee Help “Rawpedia”. The English version contains a lot of information which are important for users. So I think it makes more sense to translate Rawpedia into German than to write some more tutorials. Rawtherapee is complex. But also simple to use for newbies when newbies know witch adjustments are most important for starting with this software. So, I would be more interested in translation than in new tutorials.

Greetings, Frank

1 Like

Thanks, yes I did. :blush:

Hi @fherb
If you want to translate RawPedia into German then sign up for a RawPedia account and let me know what your username is. Then I will give you the required access.

Some parts of RawPedia need updating, and I want to do that in the same order in which the articles are listed there, one article per two or three days, as time permits. So it would be best if you started translating also in that order, so that you translate the updated articles, not the out of date ones.

Ok, Morgan!

I try it again, now. And I use the same user name as here: fherb.

Best regards, Frank!

… And i know, thats a lot of work is waiting.

Morgan,

The main part for a user is, of course, “Tool description”. But you wrote that you start to renew the pages step by step. But, on the main page the Tool Description comes after General Information and Processing Profiles. …

Maybe (the best way) I can see the last changes-date on each English version page. In case it is not to see, please send me a simple list of pages which are revised from you.

Time planning: I’m a person what would like to work exactly. My goal is to write the text for a maximum of understanding. Maybe, some pages need some time to get an adequately translation. I would estimate that I have to work all over the spring. RawTherapee is a product of high quality and a lot of really good functions. It’s important to write pages that anybody can understand of this features as good as possible.

In case there is another person interesting in translation, so it would be ok to include it.

Best regards, Frank

2 Likes

Additional Question:

I can remember from my former searching cases: Very special information about the algorithms should be written from the developer directly into the source. In case I need this for some better understanding: Where can I download these sources?

Greetings, Frank

Source is available from the github page: GitHub - Beep6581/RawTherapee: A powerful cross-platform raw photo processing program

If (very likely :frowning: ) there are no good comments in code, don’t hesitate to ask me. I can’t assure to give the correct answer but I can assure to give my very best to do so :slight_smile:

Ingo

@fherb your account is now ready. When translating a page, create a copy of the English page with a /de extension, the same way the French and Japanese translations are done, then translate that foo/de page. As described in the first post in this topic.

I am updating the articles in the order in which they’re listed on the main page. I’ve updated the first article so far, hope to do the second one tomorrow. You can see a list of recent changes by clicking on “Recent changes” in RawPedia in the main menu on the left side. A change of course doesn’t mean that an article is up to date, it just means it was somehow changed. I will write something like “Up to date” in the change message to show that an article is ready.

Hi,
I could also help with the german translation of rawpedia. I just requested an account using the same user name as here.
Cheers

@McCap great, your account is now active.

@Morgan_Hardwood Ok, Morgan. Thanks for your information!

@McCap Very good! There is a lot to do. Maybe we should make a short kick-off meeting. :slight_smile: You will find my e-mail-address on my user page User:Fherb - RawPedia . It could be that we have different knowledge. Maybe it make sense to sort the pages in different groups for us. For these special discussion we can use German language.

Best wishes to everyone!

1 Like

Hi @fherb I contacted you per email.

How should we deal with links in the translation?

One example:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Getting_Started#Start_RawTherapee

In the Start Rawtherapee chapter there’s a link to:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/The_File_Browser_Tab

Should we change the link to the (not yet existing) …/The_File_Browser_Tab/de or how does this work?

@McCap First, copy the contents of Getting_Started to Getting_Started/de, that is to preserve the formatting and make translation easier. Then edit that Getting_Started/de page. When you get to links you can straight away change them to foo/de, e.g. The_File_Browser_Tab/de. They will appear in red until you actually create that page.

Only an intermediate message:

Dear Colleagues!

I estimate, that a 1/3th of the German translation is done. There are some questions. But at first, I collect these on the discussion pages next to the German content page. It makes sense to translate all pages at first and discuss special questions at the end. Maybe some of them are obsolete after I read and translate the rest of all pages.

Next days I will start with “Processing Profiles”. After this, the Tool Descriptions are following. Maybe there are some German RawTherapee users: Any help in translation, didactic completion, spelling and grammar check is welcome!

Best regards, Frank

2 Likes

Hello Rawpedia team,

I have no more access to edit Rawpedia and can’t update French translations. Could someone fix that?
nick: Lebarhon

Thanks